Collection Duct 9 Applications that Need a Collection Duct
We live in a messy world. Dust, dirt, grime; they are all around us. By using vacuum and dust collection duct hose (as well as other types of flexible ductwork), industry everywhere can keep their work spaces as clean, healthy, and safe, as possible. It is a truism that some places experience the burden of dirt and debris accumulation more than others. Here are 10 industry applications that especially require the benefits provided by owning a collection duct:
- Agricultural Storage: Farmers and ranchers worldwide rely on collection duct for the transportation and storage of their grains and animal feeds. Using series of flexible hoses to transport and stockpile these materials. For flexible hose manufacturers, the goal is to find materials that can contribute to the increasing sophistication and functionality of modern farming and rain storage equipment while being able to withstand the harsh demands of the application and keeping systems cost as low as possible. In addition the need for FDA approved ingredients in food collection ducting is also something that is addressed.
- Welding: Welding is an extremely prominent fabrication process for joining together materials, metals or thermoplastics via heat fusion. In the process of welding, however, many dangerous fumes are generated. These fumes are typically composed of an assorted mix of silicates, fluorides, and oxides. These fume vapors come together into miniscule particles, which are especially damaging to the human body (as well as machinery). This is why welders rely on flexible hoses to aid in siphoning away these dangerous fumes. Proper ventilation and having the right kind of collection duct work to help remove damaging vapors from the welder’s environment, allowing them to function safely and effectively for as long as necessary. Now these are fumes and the mess is not one of physical clutter and more of a gaseous one.
- Car vacuum: Car vacuums, frequently employed by car washing venues and automobile shops, incorporate extendable lengths of collection duct for the purpose of thoroughly cleaning out cars, their seats, their floors, and practically every area of the automobile!
- Insulating: Carpenters and insulators compose another group of skilled technicians whose livelihood practically depends upon proper collection duct. Insulating (namely, thermal insulating) is a critical component of any home construction project. However, the process of insulation application can be a dangerous one. The actual act of laying insulation often produces large amounts of thermal insulation “flakes” which can be very damaging to the lungs of anyone in the vicinity. This is why you will typically see insulators adorned in white, protective face masks. To further increase safety, however, workers should use flexible hoses to absorb and store loose material in the form of a collection duct.
- Leaf blower: Commercial and residential leaf blowers are used by landscaping businesses everywhere to maintain cleanliness in housing communities and business parks. Without leaf collection duct, however, there would be no modern leaf blowers. The ability of well-built flex ducting to channel air is one of the preeminent reasons for the success and continued usage of leaf blowers everywhere.
- Woodworking: Almost everybody knows just how messy wood shavings and sawdust can be. This is truly an application where collection duct fits it impressively. A flexible hose installed for the purpose of removing wood dust and saw dust can make all the difference in a home or commercial woodworking studio. Wood dust removal is imperative to the production process as well as the health of the employee working in the physical space. In addition wood shavings can be abrasive and a possible fire hazard, which is why flexible dust collection duct hoses used are generally abrasion resistant as well as fire retardant. More often than not polyurethane hoses are the flexible ducting material of choice for this industry. Other possible options are heavier wall PVC hoses and Neoprene dipped polyester or cotton fabric ducts.
- Street sweeping: Many people do not quite realize just how important street sweeping is or, indeed, how much of a difference it makes in our day-to-day lives. Having clean, trash-free streets, better yet freeways, is something many developed countries take for granted. However, that is not to say that street sweeping itself is quick and easy. It is often a laborious process, but one that is made doable via the presence of industrial flexible hose pipes. By incorporating heavy-duty hoses into street sweepers nationwide, cities and towns ensure that their streets are as clean and manageable as can be expected. Sweeper collection ducts generally have heavier wall thicknesses allowing for lots of wear!
- Home/office vacuums: Used by home owners and professional cleaning services both, residential vacuums rely on short lengths of resilient ducting to absorb and store grime, dirt, and other residue (the kinds of things no one wants in their home or office). These collection hoses need to be flexible, lightweight, nimble and easy to store. And of course they need to be durable.
- Drains: Though less common than other applications, collection duct can also function in place of other types of drainage systems for the purposes of channeling runoff. Ducts can be found installed in kitchens and restaurants, using gravity to drain water from sinks into catch basins and other forms of plumbing. This a non-standard application but PVC flex ducts make a great flexible drain hose, when needed!
Collection duct is a versatile and varied product whose potential uses are limited only by the imaginations of its owners. Virtually every major industry relies –either directly or indirectly – upon ducting in some form or another. Stop by your local duct supply retailer to discuss potential applications for flex ducting within your home or business today!